The Rock is Love: Family Issues

When 4 adults have to live 24/7 under the same roof...

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Perfectionist, Part III

Perhaps a good sub-title is "When bad punishments go good." Mom was ticked at me earlier because she doesn't like my computer tutoring style. In retaliation, she told me that I now have to cook entirely for myself and am not allowed to eat anything she makes. LOL. That's EXACTLY what I WANTED! I just had never been rude enough to say that to her face. When she, my dad, and my brother moved in, she took over what HAD been MY kitchen, rearranged EVERYTHING, and immediately started cooking huge amounts of high-carb, high-fat, low protein meals (that's terrible for me). This took up all the space to prep and cook meals (she now has to give up some of that space per her own law about me doing my own cooking), took up all the utensils (she now has to learn to SHARE those too), and honestly though her food is bad for me, it tastes really good, so I figured that since I had lost my kitchen to her anyway, then my consolation was just having great tasting food that I didn't have to cook.

Anyway, I find it HILARIOUS that as this was all going down, I was blogging about how I ENJOY cooking! Heh - I think sometimes God Hears me after all ;) Now, mom has, since I started writing this entry, clarified that what she meant to say was that she's not cooking anything "special" for me because of my milk allergy. Well, whoopdi-doo. I really don't care right now - I WANT to cook for myself. I WANT to make my own meals, deserts, fun (non-alcoholic) drink mixes, etc. It's HIGH TIME I got to get back into the culinary world!

My final note is that, at the moment, mom's the one who's T'ed off, not me. I'm THRILLED about this, and that just makes her madder! I know one thing for sure: I've learned that if I just cheerfully say "ok" whenever she tries to punish me (often with stuff that works in my favor, though she doesn't realize it because she doesn't KNOW me at all), then she's the one who gets all steamed, goes to a LOT of trouble to carry out a punishment that works in my favor, etc. I do hope, for her own sake, that one of these days she realizes that she can't really punish me. I'm not her, I don't carry the same values or live by the same rules, or really even have any of the same interests as she does. More or less anything she views as a punishment is something I'm probably not going to have a problem with. Now, why she views cooking for herself or her family as a punishment is genuinely beyond me, especially since her profession has EVERYTHING to do with food!

All's well that bakes, cooks, fries, and stores well ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home